03 June 2010

A trip down Memory Lane - just sharing...

Hello friends...  a trip down memory lane....

I'm the product of a national and international rugby football player, so rugby's been flowing through these veins since I was born.  My father, Rudolph (Rudi) Hasse, was quite a player in those days and his home team was Western Province.  Rugby was still an amateur sport then and one dare not play for... money!!!   We all know how things have changed since then hey!   Mom always jokes and says that Dad was born in the wrong era, with what they pay the professionals today, they would have been sitting very pretty financially...lol

Well... Dad's reputation reached the international scouts and soon someone from England was sent to watch him play and before he knew it, he was made an offer to turn professional and that is how we got to live in England for 3 years.

Here's a pic of my Dad sitting on the tractor, chatting to Mr Barritt,
Chairman of the Bradford Northerns Rugby Union back in 1962.  This pic was in the newspapers.

I was 3 years old when we left South Africa. My sister was only a few months old and her first steps were on British soil.  We travelled by ship to England, on HMS Pendennis Castle.

It was the first time a member of both families had ventured overseas.  What an experience my folks had.  There are endless stories to be heard about our life in England.  We have film footage on file (remember the old cine camera's), which I'd like to have placed on a DVD at some stage, for future generations to look at.  My Dad took film footage of HRM Queen Elizabeth during some event and she looked into Dad's camera and gave a smile and a wave - now isn't that priceless !  There's footage of Mom and Dad in front of Buckingham Palace and it looks as if they had just walked out the Palace gates.  No need to tell you that every family member that viewed this footage was told that they'd just been to tea with the Queen...lol

I was 5 years old when I started school there and remember clearly how my Mom used to pull me on a sleigh in Winter to school, as the snow was so d-e-e-p !  My first teacher was a kind elderly lady by the name of Miss Kitten.  She was a real honey!  Funny how one remembers things like that hey! 

After the 3 years we returned to South Africa (Mom was terribly homesick, Dad wanted to go to Canada to start a life there), ....and here we still are... Strange how one makes a decision in life and then thinking back you wonder... what if I'd taken the other road ? How different would life have been ?  I could have been a Canadian citizen today, instead of a South African...  I think I would have loved watching those Winter Olympic Sports.

Hmmm... if you have any trips down memory lane you'd like to share, I'd love to read them.  Let me know if you'd like to read some more and we'll see what I can come up with. 

There's another Teddy Stampers challenge coming out tomorrow, you are going to be wow'd by the DT's creations.  Hope you'll be inspired enough to come play with us! 

Take care, blessings Sharon

6 comments:

Cec said...

What a great post. Thanks for sharing your family story. Too bad you didn't come to Canada, especially if you had come to this area - we could be getting together for a face to face visit.
Hugs!
Cec

Cherie said...

Hi Sharon, I've tried to comment once so if you get it twice sorry.
I know we've spoken about your dad playing in Bradford and it only being 5 miles from my home, but it was nice to here more details. Just think if you had stayed here WE could have been crafty buddies face to face, what a lovely thought.
Love Cherie X

jimlynn said...

Sharon, this is just super! I loved reading about you and your family. In that picture of your father, he is just so handsome. I know you must be very proud of him. What an exciting life you have had. Wonderful.
Lynn

ursula Uphof said...

Thanks for the little trip down memory lane. Love to hear stories of peoples lives and "what ifs". I am so pleased you did NOT go to Canada, it would have been our loss and I might not have had a blog. LOL. warm wishes.

Moz said...

My goodness Shaz, how similar are our early lives. My Dad was a great soccer player in Cape Town and was signed by Crystal Palace in the UK, but did not go over then. But, I also lived in the UK for a year when I was 7 and have fond memories of my time their as well!
Thanks for sharing - brought back happy memories!
Hugz

wordbird said...

Sharon, Thanks for sharing! What a fun bit of info about your family! ;D Diana Q